Friday, November 9, 2007

Last 400 is always fast

So I'm backlogging workouts. This week has been rough with a local physics workshop, and my wife having a deadline to make a poster to present at a retreat we're going on this weekend (also work related). Blogging is the first thing to go, I guess, if I'm short on time.

Wednesday's workout went very well:
35 deg F slight breeze sunny
10 min jog, 10 mins of drills
4x(200-200-400) (sound familiar?) with only one 200 over 35s, the rest 33's and 34's. The 400's were 71,70,68,65
15 min cooldown

I felt pretty good, and there's none of the soreness that I had after a similar workout last week (this speedy stuff recruits a few different muscle groups and requires a bit more flexibility than the normal basebuilding workouts). The main point of my doing these workouts is not to train any particular metabolic system, but more to work on neuromuscular connections and strength. To become efficient at faster paces, I need to run at faster paces. So the rest between intervals is very long. A little less than 2min between 200's, and a little less than 4min between 400's.

Thursday:
42 deg F light breeze sunny
1:00 jog, with a friend in town for the workshop
probably about 7.5-8 miles
Kept HR under 150, but under 145 for the most part (aharmer will be proud!)

I'm struggling with the Again to Carthage review. I want to give it a great one, but I also don't want any spoilers in there. I'll have lots of free time this weekend, I'm hoping.

No comments: