Saturday, November 10, 2007

Again to Carthage

So I've been out of contact for the last few days. Traveling with a 12 week old is not as relaxing as I thought it might be. Overall he's a great kid though, a real trooper. The only tough spots were getting out of the house, and getting back in at the end, so I can't complain. Anyway, here's my rather crummy review of Again to Carthage. I just don't have the time to do this awesome book justice, but hopefully I'll whet your appetites. It is a must read for every person who calls themself a runner, just as "Once a Runner" has become.

I purchased the book last Thursday night, and had finished it at 2am Saturday morning, just hours before the start of the men's US Olympic Trials Marathon. As with "Once a Runner," "Again to Carthage" is going to be a cult running classic. The novel continues on with the story of Quenton Cassidy, the runner who had been to the mountaintop and back. The runner who has submitted himself to the Trials of Miles, the Miles of Trials and come through with a trinket, an Olympic Silver medal from the 1500m.

Quenton has left running competitively, although goes out for the occasional 5 minute per mile "sanity run." No longer are zeroes in the running log viewed like tumors. 10 pounds of weight have decorated the body that, years earlier, had no part which would interfere with the fluid motion of running. Quenton is living his life, and is a successful lawyer.

While "Once a Runner" was a story of Cassidy the boy, Again to Carthage is certainly about Cassidy the man. The story is much darker. There is politics. Friends are lost. In the whole damn mess of it all, Quenton begins feeling his own mortality, and questions his place in the world. He decides to make another go at olympic glory, but in a much different kind of race. Quenton again submits his body to the day in - day out trials of rigorous training.

Denton is back again, as a friend, and as a coach. Andrea makes cameos. The issue of doping is brought up in a very amusing scene. The final race is told in chilling fashion, and I have to admit my eyes were not completely dry by the end.

There is no question that this is a book that is close to, if not the superior of "Once a Runner." It is the story of the incredible comeback, which I have a soft spot for.

I strongly advise you all to find your way to your local Fleet Feet Sports, and get a read, or wait for it to finally be available on Amazon (the end of the month, I think?).

Workouts the past few days:

Nov 9
10 miles high aerobic on the hills of Galena, IL after a long drive.
69 minutes
It was quite dark by the end, and I came close to getting myself good and lost. A fun run, but extremely hilly. My knees were visably swollen after the run from taking the steep downhills a bit too fast.

Nov 10
5 easy in the AM
Hungover from partying too late with graduate students in genetics the night before.

Nov 11
7 easy after driving home
was going to do a long run before leaving Galena, but I decided my knees weren't going to like it much, so put it off until after the drive home.
Did weight training for the first time in months, and now my lateral muscles are sore as hell. Once upon a time I could bench press 225 pounds at the meager weight of 145 pounds. Once upon a time...

For a rather crummy week of 45 miles. I was hoping to hit 50-55, but scrapped the long run plans on Sunday AM.
Time to begin a new week.

Nov 12
10.2 easy in the AM on grass
1:19
avg HR 147

3 comments:

Mindi said...

Thanks for the little review. I will definitely get my hands on it. Now if only I could get my hands on Once a Runner. The library system here has it, but there are currently 19 holds on it. It could be a while . . .

Mindi said...

Make that 22 holds (I am #22). Sheesh. And it is available on Barnes and Noble. Starting used price is $399. NOW THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!! Sorry for the double-post, I just needed to rant.

Hubitron said...

I got my paperback copy of Once a Runner about a year ago, also at Fleet Feet here in Chicago. It was for the normal price. I've heard some rumors about a re-release of Once a Runner in hardcover, but I don't know how much truth there is to that.