Saturday, March 22, 2008

Still Alive

Yo.

Things are nuts. I've got a job offer from those interviews last month, so I've been on a crash course about faculty negotiations, and I've been trying like all hell to finish a long overdue publication. The bigger negotiation, however, is the one involving the family. Do we move? Does my wife stop her current program? It's hard not to feel like a dick, dragging her around the country like has been happening over the past 8 years.

I've been running a bit. I miss a day here and there, but 50 miles a week isn't terrible.

This week I got back to something resembling what Will had me doing before I hurt my back, got sick, and traveled afar for the interviews. I think today was the first day I felt like I was really getting back into things. I ran too fast though.

It was supposed to be WU 1600 in 5:40 1600 jog 4x(1600 400rest) cutdowns from 6:10 to 5:55. The first two "hard" miles were spot on, but I was running into the wind, and on a slight incline. The remaining two hard miles (I'll get to the lost #5 in a moment) were then 5:40 and 5:35. I didn't feel like I was pushing it though...3-2 breathing and pretty smooth. Then I unfortunately had an "emergency" and had to find a private spot in a very public area. Bloody hell. I couldn't bring myself to resume the workout, and, full of shame, I jogged back home.


Thursday was also right on, the 200-400-600-400-200 workout all at 4:48 pace. My pacing was just about exactly on for those, and it didn't feel tough at any point.

Tuesday's workout didn't happen...in an emotional rut due to all the stress lately...I ran it on wed instead. It was okay....8 miles at 85%. Very windy conditions, 6:30-6:40 into it, 6:00-6:10 with it behind me. Not that great.

Looks like the Shamrock shuffle won't happen for me, which is a bummer, since it's been my big spring race for the last two years. Oh well.

I head to Santa Barbara, CA in a week. Fun in the sun, here I come! I'm gonna miss my wife and kid like hell.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I began to wonder what happened to you.

Will has you doing that drill before the tempos...nice workout, ain't it? Overall, considering what's going on in your life, I think it's completely understandable why you're taking some low days. The good news is that since you've been maintaining, it won't be that hard to get right back onto schedule when time and sanity permits.

And hey, at least you didn't puss out on your last workout like me :).

Best of luck with the professional stuff. Enjoy CA.

Mindi said...

Wow! Big changes. Good luck in whatever you do. I'm sure you will all survive it.

Have fun in CA - a nice change from this crap weather.

Sorry to hear the Shamrock did not work out for you, but there will be other races.

Good luck with the interviews!

Mindi said...

What happened? Where are you? I hope all is on the up and up with the job and family.